Skip to content
Search

Appeal Hearing in Trump’s Georgia Case Moved to After the Election

Appeal Hearing in Trump’s Georgia Case Moved to After the Election

It wasn’t that long ago that it seemed like Donald Trump would finally face consequences for his actions conducted both in and out of office. He paid a $92 million bond while appealing a guilty verdict in a defamation case in April, then the following month posted a $175 million bond while appealing a civil fraud lawsuit. The month after that, in May, he endured his first criminal trial, which ended with the former president being found guilty of 34 felony counts.

Things have since seemed to turn around for the Republican nominee. The Supreme Court essentially ruled that presidents are above the law while in office, throwing a wrench into the legal action against him. Then, in the days following the failed assassination attempt against him on Saturday, Trump received welcome news from Florida when Judge Aileen Cannon threw out the Justice Department’s classified documents case against him. The good news didn’t stop there: On Tuesday, an appeal hearing for his racketeering and election fraud case in Georgia was moved until after the November election.


The hearing follows a two-year investigation by the Fulton County District Attorney’s office, which indicted Trump and 18 co-defendants on racketeering, conspiracy and election fraud charges in a case that alleges he and the co-defendants sought to overturn Joe Biden’s victory in Georgia. Trump, who has pleaded not guilty, has pushed to remove Fulton County DA Fani Willis from the case after it was discovered she had a romantic relationship with special prosecutor Nathan Wade.

In March, Fulton County Judge Scott McAfee said although he did not believe Willis’ relationship with Wade amounted to any conflict of interest, he said it created an “appearance of impropriety” for the prosecution and ruled that either Willis or Wade must step down. Wade left, allowing Willis to remain on the case. McAfee also allowed Trump to appeal Willis’ involvement in the case, which he of course did. Arguments were originally set to Oct. 4, but on Tuesday, they were moved to Dec. 5. 

The Fulton County case is just one of four criminal cases involving Trump.

Special Counsel Jack Smith is investigating Trump over his actions that led up to the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and indicted Trump on charges related to the effort to overturn the election results. Smith is also appealing Judge Cannon’s dismissal of the classified documents case in Florida.

In New York in May, Trump was found guilty by a jury of his peers of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records. Sentencing was originally scheduled for July 11 but was rescheduled to at least Sept. 18 after Judge Juan Merchan decided he would weigh the possible impact of the immunity case, which was decided a day before Judge Merchan rescheduled sentencing.

More Stories

DNC Brings in Higher Ratings Than RNC All Four Nights

DNC Brings in Higher Ratings Than RNC All Four Nights

The numbers are in, and the viewership of the Democratic National Convention blew last month’s Republican National Convention out of the water. 

Early numbers by Nielsen Fast Nationals indicate that the final night of the DNC garnered 26.20 million viewers across 15 networks, compared to night four of the 2024 RNC Night 4 at 25.4 million viewers.

Keep ReadingShow less
Marketer Behind Fake Quotes in ‘Megalopolis’ Trailer Dropped by Lionsgate

Marketer Behind Fake Quotes in ‘Megalopolis’ Trailer Dropped by Lionsgate

Eddie Egan, a very real marketing consultant, lost his gig with Lionsgate this week after the studio discovered that quotes he used in a trailer for Francis Ford Coppola’s Megalopolis were fabricated, according to Variety.

The conceit behind the teaser, which Lionsgate recalled on Wednesday, was that critics had trashed Coppola’s masterpieces throughout the decades, so why trust them? Except that the critics quoted didn’t actually write any of the pith. A quote attributed to Pauline Kael that was said to have run in The New Yorker, claiming The Godfather was “diminished by its artsiness,” never ran.

Keep ReadingShow less
Fact Checkers Try to Shield Trump From Project 2025’s Abortion Madness

Fact Checkers Try to Shield Trump From Project 2025’s Abortion Madness

One of the odder features of American journalism is that the columnists who hold themselves out as “fact checkers” and review claims made by politicians — calling balls, strikes, and “pinocchios” — are unusually terrible at it.

Fact checkers offered up several botched reviews of content from the Democratic National Convention, but nothing has broken their brains like Democrats’ sustained attacks on Donald Trump over Republicans’ anti-abortion agenda, which is laid out in gory detail in conservatives’ Project 2025 policy roadmap. 

Keep ReadingShow less
Cops Who Falsified Warrant Used in Breonna Taylor Raid Didn’t Cause Her Death, Judge Rules

Cops Who Falsified Warrant Used in Breonna Taylor Raid Didn’t Cause Her Death, Judge Rules

A federal judge in Kentucky ruled that two police officers accused of falsifying a warrant ahead of the deadly raid that killed Breonna Taylor were not responsible for her death, The Associated Press reports. And rather than the phony warrant, U.S. District Judge Charles Simpson said Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was responsible for her death because he fired upon the police officers first — even though he had no idea they were police officers.

The ruling was handed down earlier this week in the civil rights violation case against former Louisville Police Detective Joshua Jaynes and former Sgt. Kyle Meany. The two were not present at the March 2020 raid when Taylor was killed. Instead, in 2022, Attorney General Merrick Garland accused the pair (along with another detective, Kelly Goodlett) of submitting a false affidavit to search Taylor’s home before the raid and then conspiring to create a “false cover story… to escape responsibility” for preparing the phony warrant. 

Keep ReadingShow less
Queens of the Stone Age Cancel Remaining 2024 Shows After Josh Homme Surgery

Queens of the Stone Age Cancel Remaining 2024 Shows After Josh Homme Surgery

Queens of the Stone Age have canceled the remainder of their 2024 tour dates — including a string of North American shows and festival gigs scheduled for the fall — as Josh Homme continues his recovery from an unspecified surgery he underwent in July.

“QOTSA regret to announce the cancellation and/or postponement of all remaining 2024 shows. Josh has been given no choice but to prioritize his health and to receive essential medical care through the remainder of the year,” the band wrote on social media.

Keep ReadingShow less